Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Social Justice

I think that it is amazing what the classrooms can offer the students in the technology field these days. The ability to use a smart board or Power Points for class discussion is just fascinating to me. When I was in High School we did not have computers in every room and no power point shows. The only time we were able to use computers was the computer lab in the library (strictly for research) and the computer class, which we learned how to type and use word and power point. Even with these classes I never had to use the information I learned until I got to college. The kids these days have been using computers in the classroom for at least 10 years. I believe that they can take more and stay more engaged in the class because of this. So the idea of not using technology sounds blasphemous.

I believe it would be a disservice to the children if I did not use technology. Based on previous articles that we have read, the children believe that it is archaic not to use technology and that if we don't use it they feel disconnected from what we are teaching. They have grown up around it. Whether it has been in their homes or not, the students know how to use it and see how it can be a benefit. Just because we think that certain students do not have access to computers doesn't necessarily mean that it is true. Using technology is so beneficial to the learning environment that I wouldn't stop using it because of access problems. I do believe that this problem is becoming less and less. Most if not all schools have some form of computers with student access.

I do feel that if I am having the students do an assignment that requires the use of technology that I have some things to consider before I assign it. I would like to have a survey on the first day of class that would ask the children what their access to the Internet and computers is like. Once I have established their ability to access technology then I will be able to do assignments accordingly. If I have a couple of students who do not have access to a computer or the Internet I would be willing to stay after class, so that they may use the library. The due dates of the assignments would be a reasonable time frame if I knew that I had a large portion of students who used community computers and their ability to get on them was limited.

Furthermore, there are so many different places that teachers can access to get grants for technology in their rooms that it seems almost impossible to have no technology in your classroom. We should strive to do whatever we can so that we have the ability to teach our classes by using technology and allowing children the opportunities to use technology for themselves. Not just so that they can surf the web or do social networking, so that they can learn how to use a computer to benefit them in the classroom and as they grow up and get jobs.


2 comments:

  1. I love your commitment to making technology an integral part of your students' journey. You have the dedication to give your time to students, affording them time to utilize in-school resources, and the foresight to understand that requiring the use of technology for homework and projects may translate to temporal flexibility. I agree that a problem larger than that of (in)accessibility is robbing our students of the opportunity to become technologically fluent, as it is our job to best prepare them for tomorrow's world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a survey at the begnning of class is always a good idea. That way you get to know your students, and they appreciate it! Ask them lots of different questions, not just about tech!

    ReplyDelete